History

PREHISTORIC TIMES

Pierreclos castle is located near the Rock of Solutré, an iconic site known to have people living around it for over 50.000 years.

GALLO-ROMAN
TIMES

Known as "Clippiaco" Pierreclos was already a Gallo-Roman villa. Genesis of the Burgundy vineyard.

10TH CENTURY

The existence of a church located on the strategic Southern tip of the rocky spur and overlooking the "Petite Grosne" valley was mentioned.

11TH CENTURY

With it's own village and cemetery put under the authority of the Church. Pierreclos became an ecclesiastical enclosure. 

1088 -1130

Not far from here, Cluny III Abbey was built. It is known as the largest Christian church built before Saint Peter's in Rome.

12TH CENTURY

In order to compete with the power of the Church, the Lord of Berzé built the Cstle dungeon.

OCTOBER 13TH, 1350

Edward, Sire of Beaujeu, exchanges his castle of La Rochepot with Jean de Frôlois who gives him the castle of Pierreclos.

1402 - 1403

Louis de Savoie inherited Pierreclos Castle and gave it up to the Bletterans family.

HUNDRED YEARS' WAR (1337 - 1453)

Taken and retaken many times throughout the War, Pierreclos Castle was recognized as a highly strategic place.

16TH CENTURY

By marriage The Rougemont family got Pierreclos Castle. During the Wars of Religion the church burned down and the nave was destroyed.

17TH CENTURY

Pierreclos Castle is sold to the Michon Family who owned it until the French Revolution.

FRENCH REVOLUTION

On 27th July 1789n around 200 people from nearby villages plundered the Castle.

1790 - 1869

French poet Alphonse de Lamartine is a friend of the Michon family. He regularly stayed at Pierreclos, and became friends with "Laurence" and Nina Michond de Pierreclau, with whom he has a son.

19TH-20TH CENTURY

The Castle was owned successively by the Chaland Thiollière, Darnat Fouilloux, Masson families.

1989

The Pidault family became the owner of Château de Pierreclos. After several campaigns of restoration work, the château is now open to the public.

2008

The estate is attached to the château, which has returned to its historic wine-making activity.

Histoire du Château de Pierreclos en Bourgogne du Sud près de Mâcon

The History And Architecture Tour

JULY-AUGUST: The guided tour of the castle takes place from Monday to Friday, at 11:30 am and 4:30 pm.

PRIVATE VISIT: for a private visit, contact us.

Histoire du Château de Pierreclos près de Mâcon

The Church Of Saint-Martin

Before the castle, there was already a church and a vineyard in a central position on the rock of Pierreclos.

The patronage of Saint-Martin reinforces the hypothesis of a great age, probably the early Middle Ages, well before the fortification of the rock at the beginning of the 12th century.

The proximity of Cluny and the influence of Roman art in Burgundy can be seen in the architecture of the remaining building, which has lost its nave during the Wars of Religion.

Histoire du Château de Pierreclos près de Mâcon en Bourgogne du sud

The Grand Spiral Staircase

The castle of Pierreclos, which became a noble residence, experienced a golden age during the Renaissance when it belonged to the Rougemont family.

Although the decorations on the façade and the Italian-style gallery have disappeared, the spiral staircase is a major witness to the architecture of this period.

The steps are articulated in a helix made up of 52 stone slabs in a single block that run from the central pivot to the wall of the stairwell.

Histoire en Bourgogne du sud dans le Château de Pierreclos

The great entrance gate

In the 18th century, the castle belonged to the Michon family, who wanted to refurbish it in the style of Parisian residences.

The gateway decorated with the Michon coat of arms marks the entrance to the castle. It was designed as a threshold between the large tree-lined driveway (now lime trees) and the stone path leading to the inner courtyard.

Outstanding
location
Natural and cultural
heritage
Castle in the heart
of the vineyard